Healthy Pomegranate Cucumber and Lentil Salad
Healthy & Delicious Pomegranate Cucumber and Lentil Salad
This Pomegranate Cucumber and Lentil Salad recipe is vegan and so easy to make. Easily make a zesty pomegranate salad dressing with this Mediterranean lentil salad.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Allergens: Tree Nuts
- Servings: 4
- 1 Cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 Cups black lentils, cooked
- 2 Cups kale, chopped, rinsed well
- 1 Cup cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 Cup coriander, chopped
- 1 Cup almonds, sliced
- 1/3 Cup tahini
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp Water
In a small bowl, add the tahini, lemon juice, maple syrup, and water. Mix with a spoon until you get a creamy dressing. Set aside.
In a large bowl add the pomegranate seeds, cooked lentils, chopped kale, sliced cucumbers, chopped coriander, and sliced almonds. Mix to combine all the ingredients.
Pour the tahini dressing over the salad and toss gently. Serve and enjoy!
This salad is perfect for a brunch! Just drizzle the dressing right before serving.
Need a healthy lunch on the go, try layering in a mason jar, and add dressing when ready. This is also a great idea for picnics, it travels well and will taste just as fresh, plus the mason jar is also a very practical and cute presentation.
If you are short on time and need to make this salad ahead, don’t stress it, just prepare the ingredients, and store them separately in airtight containers or Ziplocs. Make the dressing and keep separate in an airtight container and drizzle when ready to serve your guests. They will never know it only took you a couple of minutes to put together!
Almonds are not the only nut you can use in this recipe; you can use walnuts or even pecans. Whatever you have in your pantry, and if you have time you can give them a quick toast to add another depth of flavor.
When preparing the kale, be sure to remove the stems first before chopping. If they seem a bit tough to you, try massaging a bit.
Not sure how to get the seeds out of a pomegranate? Try cutting the top off, score like a pizza following the white membranes. Pull apart the segments and gently rub the seeds off. Super easy!
Picking the right pomegranate is so simple, a lumpy pomegranate means the seeds are full and juicy.
You can store your pomegranate at room temperature for a few days or in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for a couple of weeks.
Are you intrigued to try this recipe? Be sure to take pictures and tag me @veggicurean or leave a comment below. Can’t wait to hear from you! -BON APPÉTIT!
What Are the Health Benefits of Pomegranate Cucumber and Lentil Salad?
I mean this gorgeous ruby red, luscious fruit is not only mouthwatering, but it is also the star of my Pomegranate Cucumber and Lentil Salad. There are so many health benefits packed into pomegranates. Here are just a few:
- Good for the heart- In as little as a couple of ounces per day, studies have shown that it can improve blood pressure, cholesterol levels and purify plaque from the arteries keeping the blood flowing freely.
- Good for the brain- Rich in polyphenols, studies have shown that if incorporated into our normal morning regimen can improve memory function.
- Good for cancer prevention- Studies indicate that the rich anti-inflammatory and polyphenol properties of this fruit can inhibit cancer cell growth in many cancers such as breast, colon, prostate, and lung cancer.
- Good for Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA)- If you or anyone around you has RA, you know that the pain can be debilitating causing joint tenderness, tremendous pain, and swelling. The flavonoids in the juice may help decrease these symptoms in RA in addition to other types of joint inflammation.
- Good for the skin- There are so many beauty products out there now that have started to incorporate pomegranate. Makes perfect sense because according to dermatologists, it can help rejuvenate dull, dry skin due to its Vitamin C content, resulting in skin texture and brightness benefits. It can also ward off the inflammation that can lead to acne as well.
- Good for the appetite- The fiber in pomegranate helps to slow digestion while keeping you full longer, which makes it a great snack too.
Just a side note, the entire pomegranate seed is edible. The little seed can be hard, but it is packed with fiber. Ok are you totally convinced yet; we need more pomegranates in our lives!
If you chose to incorporate whole pomegranates or pomegranate juice in your daily diet, please be sure to check with your doctor to ensure there are no medication interactions and increased blood sugar levels if you are diabetic.
What’s the Most Efficient Way to Make Fresh and Tasty Salads Daily?
I hear a lot from my readers that it is difficult to keep ingredients fresh for making salads. Well do not fret, I have some tricks I have learned along the way that help me keep the integrity of my fresh ingredients so I can have salads like my Vegan Lentil Salad all week long if I choose.
- When packing for a lunch, I have a couple of techniques using my trusty wide mouth mason jars. This is my general layering technique, dressing first, adding harder vegetables, legumes, layering salad last. Another option is to layer ingredients in the mason jar and pack the dressing separately. These two techniques are proven to ensure a fresh and not soggy salad.
- Try prepping your greens ahead of time by washing well, draining, and placing in a big enough container lined with paper towels to absorb any moisture.
- Next, the vegetables, go ahead and wash and prepare your vegetables and store them in the refrigerator separately. The goal is to be able to put things together quickly when you are ready to eat.
- Make a batch of your dressing ahead of time and store in a bottle, mason jar, or an airtight container. When you are ready to put your salad together it should take you a couple of minutes max.
How to Use Pomegranate in Salads?
When I go out to a restaurant and see a dish dressed up in sprinkles of beautiful pomegranate seeds, I immediately get excited! They are such a pretty, fresh, and sophisticated yet simple ingredient that adds a sweet, slightly tangy flavor, giving a slightly crunchy texture to my Lentil Salad Recipe. I can honestly snack on spoons and spoons of pomegranate seeds just by themselves, they are mouthwatering, to say the least. So, a couple of simple ways I use pomegranate in my salads is by adding the seeds on top or by making a vinaigrette dressing with the juice.
How Can One Make Salad Exciting?
Because I love eating salads, I am always trying to find creative ways to jazz them up. I don’t believe that eating healthy must be boring, so I like using a combination of flavors and textures to keep my taste buds happy!
- Use a fresh combination of leaves, whatever is seasonal. This will add texture and flavor.
- Try cooking the legumes like I do in my hearty Herbed Lentil Salad.
- Consider adding roasted vegetables like sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts or go raw with bell peppers, tomatoes, and artichokes. We all have our favorites.
- Add some pizazz and make cilantro brown rice instead of regular brown rice by adding some olive oil and cilantro leaves.
- Love nuts! Try toasting almonds, pecans, walnuts, whatever you are in the mood for, to add some crunch and nuttiness.
- Spice things up with some toppings like sliced jalapenos, salsa, vegan cheese, or sliced avocado.
- Go with a vinaigrette, a creamy dressing, or just a dash of salt, pepper and olive oil; there is really no formula to eating a salad.
- How about accompanying your fresh salad with a warm bowl of my Tomato Lentil Soup, sure to satisfy, I promise you!
Health Benefits and Allergens of Pomegranate Cucumber and Lentil Salad
There are a multitude of health benefits to this Pomegranate Cucumber and Lentil Salad if prepared as directed. Here are a few you can gain by using the ingredients in this dish:
- Pomegranate- Is high in antioxidants, can reduce inflammation and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Black Lentils- Rich in iron, folate, a great source of protein, and may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Kale- contains fiber, antioxidants, calcium, Vitamins C and K, iron, and a wide range of other nutrients that can help prevent various health problems like diabetes.
- Cucumbers- This is 95% water, contains anti-inflammatory compounds that aid in removing waste from the body, and can reduce swelling and irritation on the skin.
- Coriander- Can help with fighting infections, in addition to helping with digestion and gut health.
- Almonds- Rich in unsaturated fats and fiber and can prevent heart disease, lower cholesterol levels, strengthen the immune system, and protect against diabetes.
- Tahini- contains healthy fats that can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce heart disease.
- Lemon Juice- This is a great source of Vitamin C and can aid in improving digestive and heart health.
- Maple Syrup- Contains antioxidants, minerals like calcium and magnesium and can aid in maintaining good heart health while boosting the immune system.
- It’s healthy
- It’s vegan
- It’s grain-free
- It’s gluten-free
Are you intrigued to try this pomegranate lentil recipe? Be sure to take pictures and tag me @veggicurean or leave a comment below. Can’t wait to hear from you!