My daughter loves all kinds of apple desserts – apple pie, apple cake, apple cider, you name it! She’ll even have unsweetened apple sauce for dessert sometimes. Her second love, apart from Nutella, is granola, so I made this recipe for her. I topped it with coconut flakes, which when baked add a wonderful, sweet flavor to the oats and the apples, and topped with some vegan ice cream this makes for a perfect, easy, no-fuss weeknight dessert.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Allergens: Tree Nuts
- Servings: 10
- 3 medium Granny Smith apples (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond flour
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Pecans (for garnish)
- Vegan vanilla ice cream (optional, for toppign
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease 8-inch square baking pan with coconut oil. Set aside.
In large bowl, add all filling ingredients: apples, coconut sugar, maple syrup, almond flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
Using rubber spatula, stir and fold until apples are fully coated and sugar has dissolved.
Pour mixture into prepared baking pan, using spatula to smooth apples into even layer.
In medium bowl, add all topping ingredients: pecans, coconut flakes, oats, cinnamon, and maple syrup pecans.
Using fork, stir and fold until crumbles form.
Gently spoon crumbles evenly over apples, making sure to keep crumbles intact.
Bake until top is deep golden brown and juice around filling has thickened (about 50 minutes).
Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes, then serve warm with scoop of vegan or dairy-free ice cream on top.