Easy Roasted Broccoli
We love roasted broccoli in my house, especially when it’s tender in the middle with delicious golden edges, crispy tips, and hints of olive oil and garlic. The kids are always asking for more, which is great because broccoli contains a lot of good-for-you fiber, vitamin C, and even protein. With only 3 ingredients, this easy roasted broccoli recipe will be your new family favorite in no time.
Tips for Easy 3 Ingredients Roasted Broccoli
Here are a few general tips to make sure your roasted broccoli turns out perfectly, every time.
1) Cut the broccoli florets into equal bite-sized pieces. That way, there are plenty of broccoli edges to lie against the baking sheet and that means more caramelize.
2) Blach the broccoli before you roast it. Blanching will cook the broccoli fully, make it tender from inside, and will also give broccoli the bright green color. More on blanching below.
3) Don’t overcrowd the baking sheet. If broccoli florets are touching each other, you will get soggy broccoli. For crispy broccoli, give it some room to breathe.
This healthy, vegan side dish can be served hot or cold, and for a full plant-based meal it can be served with a simple Vegan Puttanesca Sauce or Eggless Quiche. It also makes a great after-school snack for the kids when served with some hummus, especially this Black-Eyed Pea Hummus!
The key to this recipe is blanching the broccoli before roasting it. If you’re not familiar with the blanching process, it involves placing vegetables in boiling water, removing them after a brief time (in this case about 1-1 ½ minutes), and plunging them into ice water to halt the cooking process. Blanching broccoli brightens the vibrant green color and ensures that it’s fully cooked in the middle before roasting. Blanching sets the color and texture of the vegetable, keeping it from sogging out or turning dull.
Here the reasons why I love this recipe
- My kids love this recipe. They can never have enough roasted broccoli.
- It takes only 3 ingredients to put this side dish together.
- It does not involve much of my attention. Blanch, mix and in the oven. It’s that simple.
- It involves one pot and one cookie sheet, which means fewer dishes to clean. I generally drain the boiling water and add ice and cold water to the same pan and line the cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- Truly a crowd-pleaser. We never have leftovers.
- It’s a nutrient-packed and healthy recipe.
Plan ahead and batch cooking tip
I generally batch-cook and blanch the broccoli and store it in an airtight container in the fridge (it stays fresh for up to 3 days). When it’s time to roast, I just mix it with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper, roast it in the oven while I prepare the rest of dinner. It’s a great timesaver for busy weeknight dinners, and your home will be filled with the sweet warm aroma of the broccoli getting caramelized by the olive oil. This easy, crispy roasted broccoli with garlic dish is a perfect side dish and truly irresistible!
This easy, 3 ingredients roasted broccoli with garlic is a perfect side dish and truly irresistible!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4
- 1 bunch broccoli (about 1 ½ pounds, cut into florets)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (sliced)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil, then add a heaping tablespoon of salt.
Add the broccoli florets and cook until crisp and tender (about 1-1 ½ minutes).
Remove florets with a slotted spoon and plunge them immediately into ice water.
In a medium bowl, toss the blanched broccoli florets with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Spread the now blanched and seasoned broccoli onto the baking sheet and roast, without stirring, until the edges are crispy and the stems are tender (about 10 minutes).