My kids love cream of tomato soup and I don’t blame them -- it’s the ultimate American comfort food soup, right up there with hearty chili! I’ve been trying out different recipes to get that creamy texture and delicate flavor with healthier and more nutritious ingredients, and I think I finally got it. I used coconut milk and nutritional yeast to create that creamy flavor, and my kids couldn’t even tell that it was plant-based!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup onion (finely chopped)
- 1 rib celery (finely chopped)
- 1 carrot (peeled, finely chopped)
- 1 medium potato (peeled, diced)
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- 2 pinches hot pepper flakes
- Parsley (chopped)
Heat ¼ cup vegetable broth in large pot over medium heat.
Add onion and celery and sauté until celery has softened (about 10-15 minutes).
Add spices and stir to combine.
Add carrot and potatoes and sauté for 10 more minutes.
Add tomatoes and 1-1 ½ cups water or vegetable broth and bring to boil.
Lower heat, cover, and cook until potatoes are tender (about 30-35 minutes).
Blend with immersion blender. If using regular blender, transfer in slightly cooled batches to blender and blend until smooth, then pour back into pot and stir well.
Add coconut milk and nutritional yeast and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasonings to preference.
Garnish with chopped parsley.