Vegan Olive Oil Cake Recipe: Lemon & Rosemary
Vegan Olive Oil Cake Recipe: Lemon & Rosemary
This Vegan Orange Olive Oil cake with orange zest and rosemary is like being on an Italian vacation at home. Learn how to make orange cake from scratch! Best of all it's an all-vegan olive oil cake.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Allergens: Tree Nuts
- Servings: 12
- 3 cups all-purpose flour or use 1-1 gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk or soy milk, (I prefer the nutty flavor of almond milk in this cake)
- 3 tablespoons vegan egg replacer (mixed with 1/2 cup almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest or lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract or orange extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Coat 9 ½-inch bundt cake pan with coconut oil.
In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and rosemary.
In a separate bowl, combine olive oil, sugar, almond milk with vegan egg replacer, orange zest, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and lemon extract.
Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well blended.
Pour batter into the prepared bundt cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. The outside should be golden brown, and a wooden toothpick inserted should come out clean.
After a few minutes, remove from the pan and allow to cool for about 15 minutes on a wire rack.
Remove from pan and cool for 15 minutes on wire rack.
Pro Tips & Meal Prep Ideas For Vegan Olive Oil Cake
- The best thing about this cake is that you can make it ahead of time and it can stay out for up to 3 days at room temperature.
- This cake bakes best in a bundt or springform pan, it does rise about 1 ½ inches during baking.
- Presentation options are endless, try a light dusting of powdered sugar, some fresh coconut whip cream, or even some candied lemon or orange slices for an elegant look.
orange olive oil cake from Scratch
When I feel like making something special for date night, the holidays, for one of my girlfriends, or just because, this Orange Cake Recipe is one of my go-to masterpieces; it makes a good impression and lets the person feel special right away… and I love making my friends and family feel that way! So, I am not going to let you wait any longer, because here are the simple steps to making this Vegan Olive Oil Cake recipe with fresh rosemary:
- Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, rosemary).
- Add the wet ingredients to another bowl (olive oil, coconut sugar, almond milk with vegan egg replacer, zest, juice, extract). The aroma right now should be delightful.
- Mix wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, making sure everything is combined well. Be sure not to overmix. This batter is eggless, you can sneak a taste if you like.
- Add the yummy cake batter to a greased Bundt pan, in a 350-degree preheated oven for about 40 minutes or so.
- Insert a toothpick and once it comes out clean, remove the cake from the oven. After a couple of minutes, remove the cake from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool, about 15 minutes or so.
- Feel free to garnish and serve with some vegan whipped cream, a dusting of powdered sugar, fresh fruit or candied slices of lemon or orange. You can also go rogue on this one, it is perfection on its own, trust me on this.
The aroma this Vegan Olive Oil Cake adds to your home is intoxicating, it will have your neighbors knocking in no time!
Can You Use Olive Oil In Cake Mix?
You are probably thinking, olive oil in a cake? No way, too greasy! Trust me, the texture that a great quality olive oil lends to this Vegan Olive Oil Cake recipe is airy, moist, fluffy, and smooth. The flavor notes are light and buttery, and the fruity taste of the olive oil pairs perfectly with the fresh citrus notes from the orange juice and lemon zest. So, can you use olive oil in a cake mix? Yes, it will be a crime not to, and we don’t want to go to a food prison where everything is bland, stale, and hard.
So, to solidify this response, and close the deal, let’s highlight some of the excellent qualities that olive oil will be bringing to your table, so you can feel guilt-free when eating two slices of this Vegan Olive Oil Cake:
- Improves brain health
- Boosts heart health
- Prevents inflammation
- Improves mental health
- Reduces oxidative stress
- Good for liver health
- Good for strengthening bones
- Good for lowering the risk of depression
- Good for arthritis
- Good for memory
- Good for osteoporosis
- Good for aiding in weight loss
Vegan Olive Oil Cake Recipe Nutritional Information
- Rosemary- Full of Vitamin B and contains healthy fats that promote great eye health, boost the immune system, helps to relieve tension, and aid in proper circulation in the body.
- Coconut Sugar- Contains Vitamin C, Iron, Potassium, and Zinc, which may help in improving gut health and slowing glucose absorption.
- Olive Oil- Is rich in healthy monounsaturated fats which can help prevent strokes, protect against heart disease, and may help against Alzheimer’s Disease. Also being high in antioxidants can help to reduce inflammation in the body and fight against diseases like cancer, heart disease, and arthritis as well.
- Almond Milk- Has no saturated fats, which can help prevent high blood pressure, contains added vitamin E, which can contribute to overall heart health. Almond milk is also rich in added B vitamins and iron, which promotes muscle strength and healing.
- Orange Zest- Contains high amounts of Vitamin C that is good for the skin, fights allergies, and helps to treat the common cold. It can help to lower blood sugar levels and promote proper digestion.
- Lemon Juice- Is packed with vitamins and minerals that can help with weight loss, helps to fade scars on the skin, control high blood pressure levels, and help to provide relief from indigestion and constipation.
- It’s healthy.
- It’s vegan.
- It’s egg-free.
Leave a comment below and be sure to send me pictures @veggiecurean!