- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Allergens: Tree Nuts, Wheat
- Servings: 1 9-inch cake (12 slices)
- 4 teaspoons unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup brown rice flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup toasted whole almonds
- 1 cup whole hazelnuts
- 1 cup soft pitted prunes (quartered)
- 1 cup soft dried mission figs (cut into 6 pieces each)
- 1 cup soft raisins
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
Toast hazelnuts and remove skins with kitchen towel, then set aside.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Line springform pan with parchment paper and dust with cocoa powder, knocking out any excess.
Whisk together flour, spices, salt, and cocoa powder in large bowl, then stir in nuts and fruit.
Bring sugar and honey to boil in heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
Immediately pour honey over fruit mixture and quickly stir until combined. Mixture will be very thick and sticky.
Quickly spoon mixture into springform pan, spreading evenly with back of spoon.
Dampen hands and press mixture firmly and evenly into pan to compact as much as possible.
Bake in middle of oven until edges start to rise slightly and become matte (about 50 to 55 minutes).
Cool completely in pan on rack, then remove from side of pan and invert, peeling off paper.
Cut into slices with serrated knife to serve. This stores very well for up to 1 week in airtight container at room temperature.