Veggie Tofu Stir Fry
Veggie Tofu Stir Fry
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Allergens: Peanuts, Soy, Tree Nuts
- Servings: 4
- 1 package tofu (firm)
- 1/2 cup cashews (raw)
- 1/3 cup gluten-free soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 4 cups broccoli (cut into 1-inch florets)
- 2 cups asparagus (ends removed)
- 2 cups snow peas
- 1 cup water chestnuts or 1 8-ounce can (sieved)
- 1 red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (grated)
- 3 scallions (thinly sliced, white/light green and dark green parts separated)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Drain and rinse tofu, then pat dry.
Slice tofu horizontally in half, then cut vertically into quarters, then cut crosswise.
Line baking sheet, place tofu on sheet and bake for 30 minutes.
While tofu is baking, in skillet over medium heat, dry roast cashews until fragrant and light brown (about 5 minutes). Set aside.
In small bowl, whisk soy sauce, water, dry sherry or Chinese rice wine, sesame oil, hoisin sauce, cornstarch, red pepper flakes, and dry mustard together. Set aside.
In large skillet, bring 1 inch water to rapid boil.
Add broccoli and cook until tender and crisp (about 2-3 minutes).
Strain broccoli in colander, then run under cold water to stop cooking process. Set aside and allow to fully drain.
Wipe skillet dry and add 2 tablespoons peanut oil, then heat over high heat.
Add asparagus, snow peas, water chestnuts, and red peppers, then cook until peppers are softened (about 2-3 minutes), stirring occasionally.
Add garlic and ginger, then cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds), stirring constantly.
Return broccoli and baked tofu to pan and cook until warmed through (about 1 minute).
Add reserved sauce, tossing, and cook until sauce is thickened and vegetables are evenly coated (about 30 seconds).
Transfer to serving dish and sprinkle with dark green scallions.
Serve with rice if desired.