Thai Green Curry
Thai Green Curry
An authentic Thai green curry recipe is hard to find; the key is a really good curry paste. I’m a big fan of Maesri curry pastes (available at most grocery stores or on Amazon, of course). This particular Thai green curry recipe is vegan, made with tofu, loaded with vegetables and greens, tossed in a luscious, creamy coconut sauce and served with steamed jasmine rice. It’s much better than takeout, and easy enough for a weeknight dinner -- an instant family favorite!.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Allergens: Soy
- Servings: 4
- 1 block tofu (firm, pressed)
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 white onion (small, diced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 bunch asparagus (tough ends removed, sliced into 2-inch-long pieces)
- 3 carrots (peeled, sliced on diagonals into 1/4-inch-wide rounds)
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 cups baby spinach (packed, roughly chopped)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 handful fresh cilantro (chopped, for garnish)
- 1 cup jasmine rice (for serving)
Cut pressed tofu into ½-inch slabs, then cut into desired shape. (I prefer triangles!)
In bowl, whisk tamari, vinegar, sugar, water, and garlic, ginger, and onion powders.
Place tofu in glass storage container and pour mixture over tofu, then close tight. Let tofu marinate in fridge for at least 1 hour.
Heat shallow pan and add coconut oil, letting oil heat for 1 minute.
Place tofu pieces in pan and fry on both sides until golden, using chopsticks or tongs to flip, then set aside.
Drain leftover marinade in airtight container. (If not using immediately, refrigerate marinade and tofu.)
Warm large skillet with deep sides over medium heat.
Once skillet is hot, add couple teaspoons oil.
Cook onion, ginger, and garlic with sprinkle of salt for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
Add asparagus and carrots and cook for 3 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add curry paste and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
Pour coconut milk into pan, along with ½ cup broth and ½ teaspoons sugar, then bring mixture to simmer.
Reduce heat as necessary to maintain gentle simmer and cook until carrots and asparagus are tender and cooked through (about 5-10 minutes).
Once vegetables are done cooking, remove curry from heat.
Stir in spinach, rice vinegar, and soy sauce.
Add salt and red pepper flakes (optional) to taste.
Make jasmine rice according to packet instructions.
Divide rice and curry evenly into bowls, garnish with chopped cilantro, and sprinkle red pepper flakes.