Thai Red Curry with Tofu
Thai Red Curry with Tofu
With the delicate flavors of lemongrass, ginger, lime, and cilantro, this Thai red curry recipe really hits the spot. It’s loaded with vegetables and tofu, and I like to add mango and pineapple for a little sweetness.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Allergens: Soy
- Servings: 4
- 1 block tofu (firm, pressed)
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2-3 kaffir leaves
- 1 inch ginger root (peeled, minced)
- 1 inch lemongrass (minced)
- 2-3 scallion whites (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (chopped)
- 1 large portobello mushroom (sliced)
- 1 cup broccoli florets (cooked, drained)
- 1 can water chestnuts (drained, sliced)
- 1/2 orange pepper (sliced)
- 1/2 red pepper (sliced)
- 1/2 green pepper (sliced)
- 1 bunch asparagus tips
- 1/2 cup mango chunks
- 1/2 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 tablespoon red Thai curry paste
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened full-fat coconut milk
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 Lime
- Brown or white rice (cooked)
Cut pressed tofu into ½-inch slabs, then cut into desired shape. I prefer triangles!)
In bowl, whisk tamari, vinegar, sugar, water, garlic, ginger, and onion powders.
Place tofu in glass storage container and pour mixture over tofu, then close tight with lid.
Let tofu marinate in fridge for at least 1 hour.
Heat shallow pan and add coconut oil, letting oil heat for 1 minute.
Place tofu pieces in pan and fry on both sides until golden, using chopsticks or tongs to flip, then set aside.
Drain leftover marinade in airtight container.
If not using immediately, refrigerate marinade and tofu.
Whisk curry paste and coconut milk together. Set aside.
Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
Add kaffir leaves, ginger, lemongrass, and scallions, and saute for 1 minute.
Add garlic and cilantro, and saute for another minute.
Add mushrooms, broccoli, and water chestnuts, and cook for 1 minute.
Add peppers, asparagus, mango, and pineapple, and cook for 1 additional minute.
Add coconut milk mixture and vegetable broth, mixing well, and let curry come to boil.
Add marinated tofu and remaining marinade, and bring curry to another boil.
Turn off heat, stir in lime zest and lime juice, and add salt to taste.
Serve with cooked rice and garnish with cilantro.