Cream of Wheat
Cream of Wheat
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Allergens: Tree Nuts, Wheat
- Servings: 4
- 1 cup cream of wheat
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 4/5 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon split pea lentil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon black gram lentil (optional)
- 1 onion (medium, thinly sliced)
- 1/2 inch ginger (grated)
- 1/4 cup frozen carrots & peas (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cashews (raw)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2.5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro or coriander leaves (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Thai chilli chopped, optional
- Lime slices (for garnish)
If using split pea lentil, soak in boiling water for 10 minutes.
If using black gram lentil, soak in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Heat skillet on medium heat and add cream of wheat.
Dry roast cream of wheat, stirring often until fragrant and a bit crisp.
Turn off heat and take cream of wheat out, put in bowl, and set aside.
Turn on heat again at medium and add oil.
After 1 minute, add mustard seeds and curry leaves and let sizzle for 30 seconds.
If using lentils, add and cook for 1 minute.
Add onions, ginger, and carrot and pea mixture, and cook and stir for 1 minute.
Add garam masala and salt.
Add cashews and cook mixture. Mixture should be well cooked and light brown in color.
Add water to mixture and let it come to gentle boil.
Lower flame and add cream of wheat to mixture, stirring immediately and vigorously.
Mixture should now be a bit runny, but keep stirring to make sure there are no lumps.
Cover mixture and let steam for 5 minutes.
Turn off heat and take off cover.
Add lime juice, cilantro, and chilies (if using).
Garnish with slices of lime and serve.