I take cooking inspiration from all cultures, and nobody does stuffed mushrooms like the Italians! With the combination of cheeses and spices, this is a rather indulgent dish, but the veggies and pine nuts add lots of nutrition and protein. Mangia!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Allergens: Milk, Tree Nuts
- Servings: 12 (2 each)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 24 mushrooms (2 inches in diameter, stems removed & chopped, caps reserved)
- 1/2 cup fresh fennel bulb (chopped)
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (chopped, drained, oil-packed)
- 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 cup grated fontina or crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (packed, chopped)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (toasted)
- Olive oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Brush 15x10x2 glass baking dish with oil.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat.
Add chopped mushroom stems, fennel, tomatoes, and garlic.
Sauté until stems and fennel are tender and beginning to brown (about 12 minutes).
Transfer to medium bowl and cool for 10 minutes.
Mix in cheeses, then basil and pine nuts.
Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.
Mix in egg.
Arrange mushroom caps in prepared dish, cavity sides up.
Brush mushroom cavities lightly with additional oil.
Mound filling in mushroom cavities, pressing to adhere.
Bake until mushrooms are tender and filling is heated through (about 25 minutes).
Let cool very briefly before serving.