Tofu Tikka Masala
Tofu Tikka Masala
This creamy, plant-based, quick, and easy tikka masala sauce is loved by kids and adults alike. It actually freezes really well so it’s a good one to batch cook over the weekend and freeze in small portion containers so when you want to use it just take the container out of the freezer and defrost it in your the fridge overnight or for 6 hours. I like serving it with tofu and sometimes baked cauliflower, plus naan and/or basmati rice, of course!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- Servings: 6
Sauce & Tofu
- 14 oz. extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large yellow onion (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 inch ginger (peeled, minced)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (pureed)
- 1 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fenugreek leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar (optional but recommended)
- Salt (to taste)
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice (for garnish)
- Fresh cilantro (chopped, for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3/4 strands saffron
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
Drain excess liquid from tofu package.
Wrap tofu in several clean towels and place heavy object on top, pressing for 10-15 minutes.
Mix together all of spices and set aside.
In skillet, heat coconut oil over medium heat and add diced onion with pinch of salt.
Cook onion, stirring occasionally, until translucent and starting to lightly brown (about 4-6 minutes).
Add cumin seeds and cook for 60 seconds.
Add garlic and ginger, then stir in spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant (about 45 seconds).
Add bell pepper, nutritional yeast, and tomato paste, and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently.
Add tomatoes and stir well, scraping around bottom of pan, then cook for 3-4 minutes.
Cut pressed tofu into small cubes and add to sauce.
Add coconut milk, fenugreek leaves (if using), white wine vinegar, and coconut sugar, stirring to combine.
Bring mixture to boil and lower heat to simmer.
Cook on low for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and season to taste with additional salt and fresh lemon juice.
Serve with steamed basmati rice or naan and garnish with chopped cilantro.