Veggie Fried Rice
My son loves vegetable tofu stir fry, so I try to make it at least once a week. Occasionally we have leftover jasmine rice, so in between stir frys I make this vegetable fried rice and he just loves it; it actually makes a great afternoon snack. You can add whatever vegetables you like, but his favorite is peppers and mine is broccoli. Whatever vegetables you decide to use for you and your family, the key ingredients for this recipe are ginger and water chestnuts.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup green pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup red pepper (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup carrots (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (pressed or minced)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 cups rice (cooked, chilled)
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper (finely ground)
- 1/2 cup scallion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon goji berries (soaked in hot water for 10 minutes)
Place wok over highest possible heat and coat surface with vegetable oil.
Right when wok and oil start to smoke, add finely chopped yellow onion.
Working quickly now, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir onion in wok for 30 seconds more, stirring and shaking pan back and forth so onions are constantly moving and nothing colors.
Add peppers, carrots, water chestnuts, garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes and cook for additional 5 minutes.
Add 3 cups cooked chilled rice, then using back of large slotted spoon or wok ladle stir constantly while breaking up rice clumps until all grains are individual. (Use cold leftover cooked rice because after being left in fridge overnight grains will firm up and be easier to separate.)
Add more salt 1/4 teaspoon at time, all while shaking pan and stirring contents without stopping.
After rice starts warming through (will take another minute or two), keep stirring contents of wok for another couple minutes until steam begins to rise.
Add 2 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce, sesame sauce, finely ground white pepper, and scallion and continue cooking and stirring until everything is piping hot and evenly mixed.
Garnish with goji berries.